INNOCENT DARKNESS is full of literary references. Also, V and Noli like to read and discuss books. In celebration of their love of books and INNOCENT DARKNESS’ upcoming release, we’re going to have a Literary Reference Photo Scavenger Hunt.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to seek out the books and poems on the list and take pictures of them. Each eligible photo will win you one entry – so, the more books you find on the list, the more entries you can get. Also, we have some slightly harder bonus items. These earn you not only a regular entry, but an entry for a special prize.
Grand Prize: An annotated copy of INNOCENT DARKNESS and Noli’s leather bracelet (from the cover) and a pair of goggles
1st prize: A signed and doodled copy of INNOCENT DARKNESS and Noli’s necklace
2nd prize: A signed copy of INNOCENT DARKNESS and the brass key from the secret garden at Findlay house
3rd-5th places: Captain Jules’ Extraordinary Telescope ring (from Think Geek) + INNOCENT DARKNESS goodies
1) Must be 13 or over to enter, if you’re under 18 please have your parent’s permission.
2) Open Internationally, however, if the titles are not in English, please make sure I can see them in the picture so I can validate the entry.
3) Limit one entry per person per book.
4) Books can come from your home library, school library, book store, ect, – but please be courteous and if you’re in the book store, be very careful and you should probably buy a little something while you’re there.
5) Books need to be paper copies, because as awesome as e-books are, they don’t exist in Noli’s world.
6) People who work in bookstores and libraries are still eligible to enter, because you’re awesome.
7) Each picture needs to have a book and a “marker” to be valid – this is very important because this makes your entry unique. Basically, something needs to be in the photo with the book. You could be the marker, it could be a stuffed animal, your hand (though it should be different from other hands – colored polish, a ring, etc), it could be a table or a vase of flowers or a funky hat, or a gear, whatever you want. In fact, there will be a “Missy’s Choice” prize for most unique marker. You don’t have to have the same marker in every picture, feel free to shake it up.
8) Email pictures to suzannelazear (@) yahoo with “scavenger hunt” in the subject. Please tell me your name as you’d want it announced if you win and make sure I have a valid email to contact you at. You can send the pictures one at a time or all together. If it’s for a bonus contest, please let me know. By sending me the pictures, you’re giving me the right to post my favorites.
9) You don’t have to send me two pictures for the “oldest copy” contest, if you follow the instructions, you’ll be entered into the bonus contest and receive a regular entry.
10) Contest ends July 24th, 2012 at 11:59 PM PST. Winners will be chosen at random from eligible entries unless otherwise stated. Bonus prizes may not be awarded there are no eligible entries. Winners and awesome entries will be posted at http://www.suzannelazear.com
Are you ready? Remember, you don’t have to find them all, but the more you find the more chances you have to win:
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
“Fairies in the Wood” by Mother Goose (poem) “Fairies in the Wood” by Mother Goose (poem) (Also called “My Mother Said” and “Pixies in the Wood”)
“Goblin Market” by Christina Rossetti (poem)
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
“The Hosting of the Sidhe” by William Butler Yeats (poem)
Household Tales by Brothers Grimm
Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle
“The Stolen Child” by William Butler Yeats (poem)
Stories of Hans Christian Andersen by Hans Christian Andersen
Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
These are super hard, but you’ll be entered for a chance to win an additional awesome prize. Make sure you ask permission before handling or taking photos of really old books—especially if you’re in an antique bookstore or library archive. To be entered in the special bonus content, your picture must include the publication date (and I need to be able to read it, also you still need to have a “marker” in these pictures for it to be eligible).
1) A copy of Harper’s Bazaar from 1901 or before (can be a reprint or reproduction) – this gets you entry to win a steampunk fascinator and a steampunk nail polish.
2) A botany book originally published before 1895 (the book you’re taking a picture of can be a reprint, but it must have first been issued before 1895) – this gets you an entry to win a Steampunk Wrist Monocular from Think Geek.
3) The oldest copy of “Goblin Market” will win will a pair of goggles.
4) The oldest copy of Nicomachean Ethics will win an aviator cap.
Missy’s Choice award for best marker – Missy (my daughter) will choose her favorite marker from all the pictures and award a prize of her choosing. Everyone is automatically entered into this special contest.
Good luck! Have questions? Email me. Suzannelazear @ yahoo